Re: Mostali and Time (and language for time)

From: Jeff Freymueller <jeff_at_giseis.alaska.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:03:45 -0900

>From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>
>Subject: Mostali and Time
>
>Maybe this is a faulty memory on my part, but don't some real world
>eastern languages lack tense? Don't all things simply "be", with
>past, present or future figured out from context????

This is basically correct for Chinese. The form of the verb doesn't change with tense, person, etc. The verb is always "be" or "go" or whatever; normally you find out who does the verb from the word order and when from the context. It is very easy to leave out the context if you want to insert some creative ambiguity into a discussion.... My knowledge of Chinese is too limited to know to what extent this affects worldview and philosophy, but language does shape thoughts (otherwise there would not be concepts that are impossible to translate).

Chinese also has a limited set of possible sounds (even with the different tones), and originally almost all words were one or two syllables. So there are many, many homophones (same sound, different meaning), and Chinese love to exploit these in puns.

The general idea that Mostali lacks verbs that involve change (or verbs at all) is interesting but weird. Definitely worth thinking about, but I have to get back to work right now!

Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller         Office: 907-474-7286
Geophysical Institute              Fax:    907-474-7290
University of Alaska, Fairbanks    Home:   907-479-3550
PO Box 757320                      Cell:   907-322-7632
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320           email: jeff_at_giseis.alaska.edu

Download Alaska GPS data: http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/Input/akda/