Flying Weapons, Third Eye Blue Return

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:18:36 -0000

Hi,

On Emperors:

Thank you for the info. I often forget that the Red Emperor is also the Emperor of Dara Happa.

About various weapon tactics:

In sagas, the Scandinavian people use javelins, but they don't fight in melee with them as far as i've read. They just throw it at their enemy before entering melee. I suppose volleys of javelins are too dangerous for SCA fights (i wouldn't like a javelin in my face, even a blunt one). But it could be quite effective too.

Peter Metcalfe:
>They do. It is not their sole means of battle nor do most of the Heortlings
>form a shield-wall in any given battle. Other Heortlings fight as
>Skirmishers, Berserks, cavalry, Stukas etc.

Stukas? Like the planes? Oh yes! I see...

3EB

I've been discussing off-digest about Third Eye Blue people with Daniel Fahey. There are some difficult questions without any answer, and i'd like to submit a few of them to the digest, so that if you're interested you can give ideas.

Here's a summary of current knowledge, assumptions and guesses:

The 3EB might be one of the first human metal-working culture in Glorantha. Before Dawn, their founder (3-eyed Piku) went abroad and came back with metal-magic knowledge (and eventually became immortal). Actually he stole it from the dwarfs with the help of Daxdarius of Pelanda. And when some 3EB smiths came (back) to Peloria in 1st age they were considered wonderful artisans. Then (probably toward the end of First Age) they had a problem with the dwarves because some (other?) hero of theirs stole the secret of iron. Their 'kingdom' in Fronela was shattered with the help of other Fronelan humans. Today all that remains of their former lands are under the Ban, plus some isolated clans and families scattered around in Fronela and Peloria. They are mysterious and secretive, and they distrust other Fronelan people (and maybe other Fronelan distrust them too). I don't know how they get on with the Pelorians. Some master-smiths used to move a lot during their lifetime, trading secrets. By now, families sometimes move when a family member is eaten by the Gobblers frex. Not so long ago, one family even settled in Apple Lane, Sartar.

I hope there are no big inconsistencies. Here are the difficult questions:

They are good metalworkers and have magic but other people seem to be good metalworkers as well: the Loskalmites and the Lunars don't tattoo their face and yet they probably make good metal-working too, possibly better in some respects. But the 3EB people are still there. So what makes them special? If they are so good, some of them could become rich and powerful in the safety of the Lunar Empire frex.

Are they animists, theists or sorcerers?

Jerome