bronze swords

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:05:19 +0200

Peter:
:Let's not forget how difficult it is to make a sword using materials
:other than steel. (Disclaimer: yes, I know Gloranthan metals don't
:correspond to RW ones, but we can probably all agree that iron is
:stronger than bronze.) A wood-shafted spear look downright sturdy and
:practical in comparison to a bronze sword, which is closer to a sharpened
:wad of aluminum foil than you might think.

Actually bronze swords tended to be a lot better than the early iron ones here on Terra. Bronze is just damned difficult to make well, where as iron is the metal of the common man, when you learn to use it.

Some of the very earliest bronze swords known are called "the Minoan rapiers", and are these really neat 90cm long, thin stabbing swords.

But still, in my campaign at least I've told my gamers that it's very hard to make a sword larger than a shortsword from bronze, so the bonesmiths tend to spend a long time singing in their forge (enchanting) when making true warriors blades (broadswords, and especially the 2-h battleswords)

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.