Tarsh Affairs

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:57:27 +0000

> Peter Larsen:

>>f) [Estal Donge] is imprisoned in the City of Wonders in 1630.

Peter Metcalfe:

> This last bit sounds like a convienient fiction as the City of
> Wonders has already been sacked in 1624 and disappeared from
> the world forever.

That would not hinder the most determined questers - other places have disappeared "forever", and have been rediscovered (Statham's Well?).

I might misremember, but it seems that the remnant of the City of Wonders remained accessible for the six spiritual leaders of the Holy Country Sixths, and I suppose that shadows of the city remain in the realm where the Tournament of the Masters of Luck and Death takes place. After all, there is a difference between Harrek and Kajabor...

> The true story of Estal's death is probably
> to be found in the Argrath Saga (KoS p28), where a debate is
> held over the fate of the prisoners before Mularik jumps up and
> beheads them.

The story has Mularik behead a singular prisoner, and it is possible that the prisoner was Moirades rather than Pharandros, although there are two claims that the Grazers under Jandetin the Avenger killed the Evil King.

If you ignore the wiggly brackets, the prisoner to be beheaded by Mularik might even be Onjur Fazzursson.

>>As usual, some of this is probably false. Mother or sister (or do >>the Tarshites go in for "fancy" marriages)?

> Estal Donge is described as Pharandros's mother in the Tarshite
> History (KoS p128) and as his sister by the Sartarites (KoS p157).

IMO the Tarshite CHDP is even less accurate than the Sartarite version.

I agree on the roles of Moirades and Pharandros 1610-1629.

> Estal Donge, Moirades's
> wife, tired of being ignored by her husband decided to go
> travelling and fell in love with Temertain. She's keeping
> her royalty quiet in Sartar because if it were general
> knowledge that the Regent's mother was sleeping with an
> uncouth Sartarite pretender, there would be a terrible
> scandal.

While this is a spicy theory, it remains as spicy when it is Pharandros' sister who conspires with Fazzur (who ought to know his brother-in-law's immediate family).

> Something of her relationship with Pharandros is
> known but she quietens tongues by merely letting out that
> she's a distant blood relation.

Playing on their mother's Sylilan origin?

>>What was her
>>relationship to Temertain -- friend, lover, mole, all three?

> I suppose she is a lover but is blackmailed by Tarshites into
> keeping them informed of the Pretender's thoughts, plans and
> whereabouts. Note that what the Tarshites might know is not
> the same as what the Lunar Authorities might know.

Even when in personal union, for a long while (Fazzur). No reason to let the imperials among the occupation leaders know that whether Sartar was joined to the Kingdom of Tarsh or not, a royal Tarshite prince in Boldhome was planned.