Estal Donge

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:45:56 -0800

Tim Ellis says:

>It was at this point that the Librarian managed to get himself arrested,
>having convinced me (Goram Whitefang) that this was a re-run of Honn-
>Eel's conquest of Tarsh - The fact that Temertain was also in protective
>custody at the time made it all horribly likely.

        It does have that sort of flavor, doesn't it? Estal doesn't quite seem to be in Hon-eel's class, though, does she?

Peter Metcalfe says:

>This last bit sounds like a convienient fiction as the City of
>Wonders has already been sacked in 1624 and disappeared from
>the world forever.

        I'd wondered about that myself.

The true story of Estal's death is probably
>to be found in the Argrath Saga (KoS p28), where a debate is
>held over the fate of the prisoners before Mularik jumps up and
>beheads them.

        Geez, she can't get a break, can she?

>My guess is that this muddle stems from the confusion over who
>is reigning in Tarsh as of 1621. Is it Pharandros having succeeded
>his father to the throne in 1610 as is stated several times in
>KoS? Or is his father, Moirades, still ruling? Moirades is
>mentioned as being king in 1621 according to the Genertela Book
>and KoS mentions him on two separate occasions in 1625. The first
>is sending a general to crush Grazer raids (KoS p152), while the
>second is the seizure of Aldachur (KoS p154).

        Moirades was also King of Dragon Pass. Could he have resigned his Tarsh throne to concentrate on the magical aspects of kingship? He could have his throne and leave it, too. (Of course, the Dragon Pass King List on KoS p42 shows him dying (or abdicating) in 1610, so this is no more likely.)

>Estal Donge, Moirades's
>wife, tired of being ignored by her husband decided to go
>travelling and fell in love with Temertain. She's keeping
>her royalty quiet in Sartar because if it were general
>knowledge that the Regent's mother was sleeping with an
>uncouth Sartarite pretender, there would be a terrible
>scandal. Something of her relationship with Pharandros is
>known but she quietens tongues by merely letting out that
>she's a distant blood relation.

        She's not necessarily Moirades's wife. If she was Lunar, who knows what kind of arrangements would be possible, given the range of Orlanthi and Lunar marriage styles. I suppose she'd also keep quiet because being related/connected to the winner of Grizzly Peak would hardly win her any admirers in Sartar. Of course, maybe she was following in Hon-eel's footsteps. What would the impact be with a Lunar agent mother to both Sartar and Tarsh's thrones? Especially with a Lunarized King of Dragon Pass in the wilderness somewhere....

>>What did she do for Argrath's friends?
>
>Probably nothing. What she and Pharandros do have is that
>Pharandros is married to Fazzur Wideread's sister (mentioned
>in Fazzur's bio up at glorantha.com)

        Wow! Now that's a clever idea. Works well, too. Pity, though, I kind of liked the idea of her and her son/brother wandering through a city full of desolate marvels, unable to leave or contact anyone.... Your construct is probably kinder.

lastly,
james897_at_msn.com is a jackass, but I was startled when I read: Mortgage Rates DROP! Lenders COMPETE for your Business!

as:
Mortgage Rates DROP! Lunars COMPETE for your Business! Spam is a Seven Mothers plot?

Peter Larsen