Estal Donge and the City of Wonders

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:45:31 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>I might misremember, but it seems that the remnant of the City of
>Wonders remained accessible for the six spiritual leaders of the Holy
>Country Sixths,

Although magical barriers prevent almost everybody from entering, the six leaders of the various parts of the Holy Country and the six rulers of magic can open the way to the City of Wonders (Elder Secrets p10) currently. Broyan is undoubtedly one of them as he uses his knowledge to open the City to the Wolf Pirates for them to sack (KoS p22) as a result of which the City disappears (KoS p152, see also VoG). As a result, I think the knowledge to enter the city after this becomes useless.

Determined Heroquesters can attempt to find the city of course, but I don't think Argrath has the knowledge circa the Liberation of Tarsh (Broyan is dead by this time).

>After all, there is a difference between Harrek and Kajabor...

Perfectly true. Kajabor has been beaten.

> > Something of her relationship with Pharandros is
> > known but she quietens tongues by merely letting out that
> > she's a distant blood relation.

>Playing on their mother's Sylilan origin?

Perhaps. Having her as a Sylilan (whether mother or sister) would do well to obscure her exact relationship with the King and Regent (whatever that is).

Peter Larsen:

>Could [Moirades] have resigned his
>Tarsh throne to concentrate on the magical aspects of kingship? He could
>have his throne and leave it, too.

This is my opinion. IMO he's actually planning something big in a James-Bond-Villianesque way and his son is the sap who has to run the kingdom.

>She's not necessarily Moirades's wife. If she was Lunar, who knows
>what kind of arrangements would be possible, given the range of
>Orlanthi and Lunar marriage styles.

I dunno. If they weren't married, Pharandros would be a bastard in civilized Heartland eyes. While it's acceptable if the father was the Emperor, I do think most other Pelorians (Darjiinians being an exception) would prefer that their heirs be born within wedlock. Adultery for example is pretty shocking to the Orlanthi (and by extension, most rural Tarshites).

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #231