Mo(re)Irades...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:36:32 +0100

Peter Larsen

>Moirades was also King of Dragon Pass. Could he have resigned his
>Tarsh throne to concentrate on the magical aspects of kingship?

IMO the author of the Tarsh CHDP is grossly misinformed now and then, but Moirades' "death" would mean at least several years of reclusion (an orgy in a tomb?).

>He could have his throne and leave it, too. (Of course, the Dragon Pass
>King List on KoS p42 shows him dying (or abdicating) in 1610, so this is no
>more likely.)

That list is bollocks as far as most dates are concerned. We know that Tarkalor became KoDP in 1575, but the list has his entire reign. Same for Moirades - he is listed as KoDP since 1579, whereas Tarkalor held that position until 1582. Quite clearly the author of this list used dates collected from the same sources which make up the rest of KoS indiscriminately. The deaths of kings usually work out, but Moirades seems to be a special case - when he abandons his office in 1510 in whichever way, his reign as KoDP effectively ends. I suppose that it takes some "maintenance" in leading certain rites, and failing that the magical benefit will melt away.

Peter M.:
> >Estal Donge, Moirades's
> >wife, tired of being ignored by her husband decided to go

Peter L.:
>She's not necessarily Moirades's wife.

I go for the version making her Pharandros' sister.

>I suppose she'd also keep quiet because being related/connected to the
>winner of Grizzly Peak would hardly win her any admirers in Sartar.

I'm not so sure about that - Heortlings admire strong leaders.

IMO a major reason for keeping her true status unknown are Lunar Heartland officials trying to keep the prying fingers of the Tarsh dynasty off the newly conquered territory in Sartar. By planting another line of members of this dynasty close to the throne (provided Temertain would perform at least this dynastic duty) the Tarshite royal house gains another inroad to complete control over Lunar Maniria. Worthy descendants of Hon-eel indeed...

>Of course, maybe she was following in Hon-eel's
>footsteps. What would the impact be with a Lunar agent mother to both
>Sartar and Tarsh's thrones? Especially with a Lunarized King of Dragon Pass
>in the wilderness somewhere....

This works as well for Pharandros' sister. If we assume she is Pharandros' mother, she wouldn't be of Hon-eel's bloodline, less magic to be had that way.

>>>What did she do for Argrath's friends?

>>Probably nothing. What she and Pharandros do have is that
>>Pharandros is married to Fazzur Wideread's sister (mentioned
>>in Fazzur's bio up at glorantha.com)

>Wow! Now that's a clever idea. Works well, too. Pity, though, I
>kind of liked the idea of her and her son/brother wandering through a city
>full of desolate marvels, unable to leave or contact anyone.... Your
>construct is probably kinder.

Which is a perfectly good reason for Argrath the former Wolf Pirate to do just such a thing.

The service probably was to some members of the Wooden Sword Humakti during the Storm Bull ceremony - was this part of Greg's house campaign? Published accounts would suggest some participation of these (un?)worthies in the events following Kallyr's rebellion, but I haven't seen anything written about this.

Me:
>>I might misremember, but it seems that the remnant of the City of
>>Wonders remained accessible for the six spiritual leaders of the Holy
>>Country Sixths,

Peter M.:
>Although magical barriers prevent almost everybody from entering,
>the six leaders of the various parts of the Holy Country and the
>six rulers of magic can open the way to the City of Wonders
>(Elder Secrets p10) currently. Broyan is undoubtedly one of them
>as he uses his knowledge to open the City to the Wolf Pirates for
>them to sack (KoS p22) as a result of which the City disappears (KoS
>p152, see also VoG). As a result, I think the knowledge to enter
>the city after this becomes useless.

VoG actually suggests that the city splits fates - one fate, a whole lively city (or whatever was left after the 1616 disasters) continued "elsewhere, elsewhen", another fate saw the miserable death and ruin of the City of Wonders in the centre of the Mirrorsea Bay. And of course if Argrath was to exile anyone anywhere, it would be this site of ruins...

>Determined Heroquesters can attempt to find the city of course,
>but I don't think Argrath has the knowledge circa the Liberation
>of Tarsh (Broyan is dead by this time).

Argrath might have received it upon fighting Harrek to a standstill - IMO there must be some keepers of this Pharaonic knowledge in the Holy Country, or Broyan wouldn't have received this knowledge either, since he becomes leader of Heortland partially in 1617 and fully in 1622-24.

>>After all, there is a difference between Harrek and Kajabor...

>Perfectly true. Kajabor has been beaten.

That's another one. But people remember the victims of Harrek, and can see their remains.

>Peter Larsen:
>>Could [Moirades] have resigned his
>>Tarsh throne to concentrate on the magical aspects of kingship? He could
>>have his throne and leave it, too.

Peter Metcalfe:
>This is my opinion. IMO he's actually planning something big
>in a James-Bond-Villianesque way and his son is the sap who
>has to run the kingdom.

Almost makes me wonder whether Moirades served a term as one of the Egi of Argenteus...

>Adultery for example is pretty shocking to the Orlanthi
>(and by extension, most rural Tarshites).

Formalized adultery seems to be acceptable, though ("son by his bed-wife").