bronze and damascus swords

From: Karin Goihl & Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:32:35 +0100

Mikko:
>Hammered bronze is actually quite hard and holds a good edge, but >making a
sword that has edges of hammered bronze with a flexible core is >propably even harder than doing the same with steel.

Making hammer-hardened bronze swords is actually quite easy, and much more so than making steel swords of acceptable quality.

> (mixing different kinds of bronze is apparently quite hard)

I don't know who told you that, but it's not true. Getting it the same way each time is a little tricky. In any case that has nothing to do with hammer-hardening the edges.

> There's also a very cool thing called silverbronze, that has some silver
>where there's usually just tin. It's quite expensive, but it holds a very
>keen edge. IMG this is a secret of the Yelornans.

Yeah, much modern jeweler's bronze is silver bronze. I like your idea about the Yelornans using it. That isn't hard to make either, copper and silver having similar melting temperatures.

>Personally I don't worship the katana. Good damascus steel compares >quite
well. The best Viking weapons for instance are really, really good >quality steel. But I agree still.

"Damascus" steel is made differently. "Viking" swords were imported from France and were not of damscus steel, but often made with twisted strips which made them look neat. Many people confuse this with damascus steel, but it's really quite different and not as good. Also the quality of these European swords varied considerably and was inconsistent, unlike damascus steel products.

Daniel