Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #236

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:39:48 -0800

At 07:54 AM 1/28/2001 -0800, you wrote:

Peter put it very nicely here:

>Because Maize is no ordinary grain but the gift of the Blood Sun.
>It grows best in the rains of blood which fall only when the Blood
>Sun shines (and have not been seen for some millennia). In the
>light of the Quiet Sun, maize still requires blood to grow.
>
>Maize is no ordinary grain for it grows on rocky soil in Bliss
>in Ignorance, sustaining the too many Ignorants there. In the
>fertile soils of Peloria, it far outperforms other grains by the
>bushels _if_ fertilized with blood.

>Several other people pointed this out. Thanks, I link Tarsh and the
>Shakers pretty closely; I wasn't thinking of the wider worship of the
>Earth. Ernalda is "She-Who-Waits?" Really? Or is she one force that can
>fill that spot and, in other situations, another god would fit? (Or,
>because HonEel is so Earth-focused she finds Earth in the position of
>"She-Who-Waits.")

The equation of She Who Waits = Ernada is a HonEel construct or discovery that she used to screw the Tarshites. It is possible to "force" substitutions this way in HeroQuesting.

>The avatar part is the thing I missed. Thanks. Is Yara Aranis also
>an avatar?

No, absolutely not.

>Is there a First Inspiration, or is that the Goddess herself?
It is Glamour.

>How about a Fifth? Sixth?

Not yet. JarEel is the latest.

>>That is because JarEel is just starting on her career.
>There's more blood to come, then?

Gonn Orta sized buckets!!

> When Argrath summoned the dragons at his utuma ritual,
>he was King of Saird.

and of Dragon Pass, and Tarsh, and Esrolia, and...

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #237