Tarsh matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:23:41 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>I suppose that Moirades became King of Dragon Pass sometime around 1605.
>The Tarshites still were able to summon dragonewt allies for the storm
>of Karse, which IMO is one of the benefits of being KoDP: you can ally
>with the 'newts.

But Dragonewts were also present at the sack of Boldhome in 1602 (as well as at Moonbroth in 1610 and on the Cradle in 1621), so I'm not sure if theory that the KoDP gets a dragonewt regiment is all that strong.

Since the Sartar Kings aren't known to have dragonewt allies, I think the Lunar dragonewt regiments might be the result of some control spell taught in the City of 10,000 magicians.

>Pharandros is more friendly with the imperial tendencies of the
>Phargantites than with the provincial tendencies of the Fazzurites.

I don't think this is the difference between Fazzurites and Phargantites. Fazzur's father, Vorstor Blacktooth was a loyal supporter of King Phargentes Blacktooth. Phargentes himself is more famous for abusing his office as Provincial Overseer to build up his kingdom at the expense of other provincial kingdoms. Fazzur himself has estates in Sylila. Doesn't sound like much in the way of difference to me.

IMO the loyalty of both the Phargantites and the Fazzurites is to Moon, King and Country. The Emperor gets a vague look-in somewhere owning to his relationship as son of the Moon. The Phargantites are described as being "professional army officers" KoS p128 and I think that all Fazzurites were originally considered themselves Phargantites.

IMO the split comes when Fazzur is disgraced as a result of the fiasco in Heortland. The Fazzurites are those that believe that he has been given a bum deal. They agitate for his rehabilitation and are not satisfied with the honors that have been laid upon him. They feel Pharandros should have done more to support Fazzur in his disputes with Tatius.

The Phargantites may have some degree of sympathy for Fazzur's plight but feel a) his current disgrace is self-inflicted and b) he's already had his chance at a comeback. To support Fazzur's return is politically unwise because it will cause a severe disruption with the Empire that Tarsh cannot afford.

>IMO [Pharandros] wants to be Satrap of Tarsh and Dragon Pass,
>and regain control over the lands his grandfather Phargentes
>ruled, i.e. the rest of the provinces.

I can't see why Fazzur would object to this.