smith the farmer?

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:05:33 +0200

:<< I've been on the french list for the first time and oh! someone's
:asking about the 3EB. In an answer someone mentioned a possible link
:between their secrets and the Book beyond Bronze (translat?) of the
:Loskalmi smiths' guild.
:>>
:
:First I've heard of it, I confess. I would assume smiths to be members of
:the farmer class (although I concede blacksmiths might be a different
:matter) and thus unlikely to be using grimoires - although they have
:access to books of blessings, obviously.

I don't think a smith is just a farmer. Smiths tend to have been regarded as magicians in their own right even here on Terra, and smithing in Glorantha definitely needs magic, as well as skill.   A smith may be a person that falls between the castes of artisan (farmer) warrior and wizard. Afterall, who is going to go and tell that ironsmith that he isn't alowed to carry that sword and chainmail he has made for himself?

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.