Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #239

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:34:34 -0800

At 11:45 AM 1/29/2001 -0800, you wrote:

> Only if literacy is the norm in the culture, which I doubt is the case
Reading and writing is MUCH MUCH more rare in Glorantha than among us. Among the Heortlings it is the sole provence of the Lhankor Mhy cult, who tend to mistrust anyone else (even among Heortlings) who has acquired the skill. That is, they do NOT teach it to anyone else.

>anywhere in Glorantha. Personally, I believe that the Loskalmi probably have
>the highest literacy rate (at least for human cultures), but I still don't
>think its even mediocre by 21st century standards. Although I could be
>convinced that the Loskalmi make their kids recite the alphabet as part of
>their adulthood rites, as Muslims and Jews do today, making them (almost)
>universally literate and thus obviously weird spooky types according to
other
>Gloranthans. But I'm certainly not convinced of that at the moment...
I don't think anyone in Glorantha does this.