HW languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:57:53 +1300

Alain Rameau:

>As I understand it, HW decided to drop all "Speak own language" kind of
>skills, because a Hero should be capable of speaking fluently his own
>tongue. OK for me.

If you want to simulate it, then assume that fluency in a language is 6, "what everybody has". For understanding different dialects and related languages (i.e. Sartarite to Tarshite or Old Pavic), use a modifier of from -1 to -5. For unrelated languages, there's no chance.

>However, is "Read/write" still a valid skill, for the same reason : I
>guess a Hero should be able to read/write his mother tongue, except if
>the player decides to take a flaw ?

It depends on the Hero and his culture. Scholars have read and write (they are separate skills), but most others do not.