Re: Languages in HW

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:05:07 EST

Tim Ellis:

<< >This post is between rules and background.

>As I understand it, HW decided to drop all "Speak own language" kind of
skills,
>because a Hero should be capable of speaking fluently his own tongue.

 I think it's back to thinking of a show like Xena again. It works better if everyone speaks (a) the same language and (b) the language that we understand  (the latter is why a film like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" will not be as successful in terms of viewing figures as an English language "action" film in the US/UK) >>

     I agree so far, but...

<< So for Hero Wars the idea is that anyone you are likely to meet is capable of understanding you and making themselves understood >>

     ...I don't see how that follows from the above. RPGs are not action-oriented TV shows (thank God). Unless, of course, you want to play them that way, which is fine, but not necessarily an interesting model for everyone else. I'd say that the idea in HW is that all the PCs will come from the same culture and clan (or equivalent) so that it's a given they all speak the same language. You certainly can play it differently, but all the emphasis on community relationships suggests that 'same clan' campaigns are intended to be the standard.

    For NPCs, though, I see no reason why they should all speak the same language you do, and I think it makes things more interesting if they don't. Sure, the GM will ensure that any characters he expects you to interact with have enough skill in your language to be able to communicate, but in my games I'd prefer to see that done through high levels in appropriate language skills rather than hand-waving. YMMV, of course.

<<Hence there is no list of languages >>

     I assume that's something the GM is meant to compile based on information in the Players Books. I, for one, don't think I could run a game without one, unless it were very localised in setting.

<<- If your players all go away and generate characters and present you with an Orlanthi, a Grazer and a bunch of Lunars from every corner of the Empire, you don't need to worry about making contested language rolls every time they talk together... >>

     It would be an unusual (but perfectly acceptable, of course) HW campaign that allowed such a range of characters, IMO. If I were running such a game I'd insist everyone had a common language, and maybe give them it for free at a 1w level. Then I'd add a house rule that if people both have a 1w level in the same language then they don't need to roll to communicate unless they're trying to get across some really complex philosophical point or the like. Ignoring language altogether just wouldn't wash with me...

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky