Re: Languages in HW

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:49:22 +0000

In message Languages in HW, TTrotsky writes

> I agree so far, but...
>
><< So for Hero Wars the idea is that anyone you are likely to meet is capable
>of understanding you and making themselves understood >>
>
> ...I don't see how that follows from the above. RPGs are not
>action-oriented TV shows (thank God). Unless, of course, you want to play
>them that way, which is fine, but not necessarily an interesting model for
>everyone else. I'd say that the idea in HW is that all the PCs will come from
>the same culture and clan (or equivalent) so that it's a given they all speak
>the same language. You certainly can play it differently, but all the
>emphasis on community relationships suggests that 'same clan' campaigns are
>intended to be the standard.

That's sort of what I meant, I just used fewer words :) It was fairly easy in Runequest to end up with characters that didn't speak the same language, IIRC

> For NPCs, though, I see no reason why they should all speak the same
>language you do, and I think it makes things more interesting if they don't.

>Sure, the GM will ensure that any characters he expects you to interact with
>have enough skill in your language to be able to communicate, but in my games
>I'd prefer to see that done through high levels in appropriate language
>skills rather than hand-waving. YMMV, of course.

Not that much, actually. I just took the "How do you deal with different language" topic over to hw-rules instead....