Literacy, Centaurs

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 14:30:59 -0800

At 11:45 AM 2/3/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I don't think we can take KoDP for a model. Firstly even Heortling
>society changes and secondly KoDP looks at a very early stage in the

I use an exagerrated idea of traditionalism to define the natural social change. Clans change little, as the out in the hills agicultural peasantry.

>economic development of Sartar. The first city is only built at the end
>of the game. By the 1620s there are caravans that regualarly go not just
>over to the next clan but from Esrolia to Sartar to Tarsh to the Lunar
I don't think this could significently affect the clans. There are more luxury goods, certainly, but the clans are working mostly the same. I don't speak of fashion, interpretaion and experimentation in this but of the essential core practices.

>Empire and beyond. And there are merchants who travel with them and
>merchants who just stay behind and finance the ventures. No, I believe
>that literacy and numeracy are going to be needed for Issaries merchants
>in 'modern' Sartar or the Lunars are going to take them to the cleaners.
Uhh, sort of like how they aready have? The Hero Wars are going to be full of many such break throughs, such as an Argrath teaching the Sartar army to use written commands upno a battlefield. Since the Lhankor Mhy temple actually forbids literacy to anyone but themselves, this is a cause for story about your favorite LM.
>Deduction:
>God Learners did experiments with recreating extinct species, their
>succes is the most likely source for beast people being in Seshnela.
>
>On the other hand, the few Luathans may have had some influence on
>the subject, maybe by bringing some along from Luathela? Anyway
>recently they have protected/tolerated the Elder races on their
>islands, which is where I suppose Seshnelan beastfolk thrives.
>
>I doubt that any Seshnelan beastfolk race has survived from
>mythic ages.
>
>The seshnelan centaurs wont propably follow the ways of Ironhoof.
All correct, I think.

>Speculation:

Great story.