Tradetalk, Literacy, Troll Bows

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 01:52:40 -0000

Hi

Brad Furst
>Why don't trolls use bows as weapons? Why do they use slings exclusively
>when using missiles?

I suppose bow is the weapon of Yelm the evil Burner, so they won't touch it for religious reason. Sling has been their cultural weapon since Vaneekara the Hurler hurled the first stone. More practically, being quite strong, trolls can hurl big stones with their slings too, possibly doing more dirty damage.

Peter Larsen:
>Does anyone on the list know of a trade language (not very common in the
>RW, as I understand it) that had a written form?

I can't think of any RW trade language which had a written form, especially one "created" especially for trade in a barbarian culture, like Issaries's tradetalk. Maybe someone on the list know more.

Usually international languages we know of were just the languages of widespread civilized cultures which left written archives. Greek, Latin, Aramean, Sogdian, Arab, all of these languages were (or are) international languages in their respective times and areas of influence.

I can see New Pelorian as an "international" language of the Lunar Empire, for cultural, artistic, religious and trade (Etyries) purposes. But yet this seems to be another "created" language. There's been some "created" languages in RW, like esperanto, but i think none ever had much success. But in RW, the gods aren't so real than in Glorantha.

The last Issaries cult writeup i saw that Tradetalk was mentioned as the language of the Jrusteli empire. Possibly there is no mythological written form but a mundane one that was used by the Jrusteli and has survived in some places (Esrolia?).

If "Apple Lane" was to be re-written for HW, there would be a lot of change. - -Avareen, Priestess of Uleria: "Hey, Sherrif, there's a spelling fault on your sign!"
- -Sherrif: "How did you learn how to read, crazed daimone? Do you sleep with Squinch the Lhankor Mhy worshipper?"
- -Avareen: "Of course I do! What about you, Sherrif? How did you learn how to write?"

Writing: usually it's easier to read than write. I don't only mean drawing the symbols, but grammar, orthograph, idiomatic expressions of a foreign language, style, and so on. And someone who can write can surely read.

Off-topic, is there a common religious language in the West, like Latin in RW? What language should they speak at the Fifth Ecclesiastic Council? Brithini?!

Jerome