Sartar during the Occupation

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:14:07 +1300

Martin Dick

>Yes, Temertain is a true heir of Sartar technically, but
>does he wield the magic of Sartar?

Does Kallyr? Anything that you say against Temertain can also be said against Kallyr.

>Argrath was much more successful in the long run and what did
>he do with the Flame? KOS page 156

1627 - Queen Kallyr lights the flame of Sartar, fire/water/stasis.

                 Events of My Life, KoS p212.

Don't believe everything you read in the Composite History of Dragon Pass. Furthermore future events are irrelevant to the issue of who the true heir of Sartar is during the occupation today (1621).

> > >But of course this is why the Lunars
> > >support Temertain, as I said earlier, because he blocks a
> > >lot of the political support that would accrue to another
> > >heir of Sartar.

> > This is IMO simplistic for two reasons. Firstly, the "Lunars"
> > are far from a monolithic ideology and their policies on what
> > should be done changes every now and then.

>And this prevents it from being a reason because?

I just explained. You keep talking about the Lunars this and the Sartarites that. Some Lunars may desire the above but others do not.

> > In 1610 when they
> > conquered Pavis, they slew Dorasar's heirs because they were
> > descended from the House of Sartar. Yet in 1613, they accept
> > Temertain as an heir when they could have killed him with ease.

>Could it be because Temertain is an idiot, who is easily controlled
>by the Lunars?

Did they know that in 1613? All Fazzur knows is that someone just shows up in Boldhome, makes the flame of Sartar flicker and has the Thunder Brothers by his side. For all he knew then Temertain could have been someone smart and competent.

>Sounds to me like the Lunars rate the descendants of Sartar as
>a potential major threat to be eliminated.

Why should all Lunars of every race and creed fear the descendants of Sartar? They do not fear Illaro Blacktooth's heirs as they are now calm and sensible Lunars.

> > Secondly, Temertain is not tolerated because he "blocks"
> > support. He is tolerated because he is the legitimate heir
> > of Sartar and useful to the Empire because he validates
> > their rule.

>I can't really see the difference between these two statements,
>obviously having a heir on the throne, helps prevent other
>heirs from placing their claim.

You write as though support of the Prince of Sartar is a negative thing to be eradicated by the Lunars, wherever possible. It is not. Look at the Glorantha: Intro p156 for what normally happens to native princes in the provinces. As far as provincial practice goes, the Lunar Way and the cult of Sartar are compatible.

>Doesn't mean
>that a lot of people aren't hoping for a sign or
>aren't prepared to help out with the rebellion or
>wouldn't rise if a true and competent heir of Sartar
>appeared.

They would also rise if another hero, who didn't claim descent from Sartar and had no intention of restoring the Kingdom whatsoever, manage to expel the Lunars. They are hoping for deliverance from oppression and aren't too choosy about who the agent is.

> > The rebellion only _occurred_ because the Dragon devoured
> > Tatius, the Lunar Army and their Sartarite allies. It would
> > have been crushed by Tarsh had not Fazzur been stabbed in
> > the back by Moirades. Between 1613 and 1625, only fools dare
> > dream about rebellion. _After_ 1625, everything has changed.

>And the dragon just rose up by accident or did it happen
>to be part of a coordinated plot by the rebels?

What rebels? All I can see is seven conspirators in league with foreign powers. There's no widespread rebellion before the dragon rises. It is only _after_ the event that rebellion against the Empire became rational for ordinary people.

> > "We are to expect the return of Sartar because you are advised
> > by a madman with voices in his head? Right."
>
>Yes, and I'm sure that many people in Sartar would say exactly
>that, but when the madman with the voices in his head demonstrates
>the magic and knowledge of Sartar himself,

Not before 1625 AFAIK. What I'm trying to get across is that you are thinking that rebellion is a plausible option because of what happens after 1625. But most people in Sartar have no way of _knowing_ this before the event actually happens and hence accept the Kingdom as gone. This is mentioned twice in the sources: once in the Players Book: Genertela p15 (boxed text) and the other in the Report of the Orlanthi, KoS p247).

> > If every clan and tribe worshipped Sartar (as
> > they do Orlanth), then the rituals would be nigh
> > impossible to suppress.

>Why? It seems to have worked in Tarsh, very little Orlanth
>worship there and Orlanth is more important than Sartar.

Orlanth is not worshipped in Tarsh because the King has forbidden his worship. He is not worshipped because he is a loser and Orlanthi do not worship losers. After witnessing their God being repeatedly worsted by the Goddess, the Tarshites have joined the winners.

>And of course if the resistance the worship provides to the
>Sartarites is equivalent to one checkbox, hey then I can't
>see why the Lunars would bother.

I wasn't talking about magical resistance. I was talking about the concept of resistance to the Empire.