Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #252

From: Martin Dick <Martin.Dick_at_Infotech.monash.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:13:09 +1100

Peter Larsen wrote:

> Martin Dick's comments about the unity of Sartar made me wonder -- do you
> suppose Sartar's unity magics, however successful they were, made Sartar
> more receptive to the Lunar "We Are All Us" philosophy? If so, does
> rejecting the Lunars weaken Sartar nationalism?

Maybe, but given Sartar was a Larnsti, I don't see it as being the same. The Sartarites are being given a choice to become "We Are All Us", while the Ring of Sartar was formed voluntarily.

> Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:15:20 -0800
> From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
> Subject: Sartar's Roads
>
> >> According to Greg, they are mundane (he says, recently bitten).
> >
> >Well, not from the descriptions I've read, partly mundane
> >I'm sure, but it's hard to believe that they are totally mundane
> >KOS page 136:
>
> Sartar had dwarf help to raise his city walls between the mountains in
> Boldhome, and to make this stretch of road across the mountains. Some of
> his descendants had some help from dwarfs, but most did not. The mroads are
> mostly nice pieces of engineering done in a mundane manner.

Does that include the walls of Jonstown and Wilmskirk. Did he have dwarf aid there? It seems a bit odd to me that the cult of Sartar wouldn't have a Building Affinity with a Road Building feat and a Wall Building feat.

> Also, Sartarite "nationalism" was, as some have indicated, a deal made
> between the High King and some tribes. The ordinary people went along
> becasue their leaders told them it was in their best interest.

Doesn't this sort of reduce Sartar to a corporate executive trouble-shooter
specialing in building projects? Hardly the strange, pacifistic, magical hero that I get from reading King of Sartar. To have Sartar becoming Prince, just because a bunch of leaders told the ordinary people that it was in their best interest doesn't sound very Orlanthi to me. All in my opinion, of course.

> Jonstown Temple is formed by the CULT, not the tribes.

But surely the cult and the temple are supported by the tribes of the Jonstown confederation. It's hard to imagine the temple supporting itself, without their active financial and magical support, given the size that it appears to be. Maybe it's a lot smaller than I've imagined?

> >Actually I never claimed that, I said that the Cult of
> >Sartar/Ring of Sartar/Nation of Sartar changed the Dragon
> >Pass Orlanthi from what they were like before Sartar. The
> >position of many people seems to be that they are basically
> >the same culture as 1300s Dragon Pass.
>
> I too think they are essentially the saem cultre as in 1300.
> Sartar offered them an option that had not been present before.
> - --------

I would've thought that the establishment of cities by themselves, would have caused significant changes in the culture, let alone any influence of Sartar and his heirs. Is there any particular reason why they are the same, as it strikes me as a bit boring for them to be essentially the same after three hundred years. Maybe I'm missing the big picture?

> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:46:20 -0000
> From: "Nick Brooke" <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
> Subject: Duck Point
>
> Martin writes:
>
> > City 5 - Duck Point - oh well 4 out of 5 ain't bad :-)
>
> IIRC, Sartar had to found the ramshackle cartoon monstrosity known as Duck
> Point because the Colymar didn't agree to have one of his Cities built on
> their tribal lands. Duck Point is Sartar's fault.

Yep, Sartar couldn't convince Ortossi to build a city in Colymar lands, so he built Duck Point instead. It's one of his few failures, his dealing with Brangbane being one of the others in my opinion.

Martin