Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #253

From: Martin Dick <Martin.Dick_at_Infotech.monash.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:23:31 +1100

> Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:43:48 +1100
> From: "John Hughes" <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
> Subject: Heortling Unity
>
> I played with this theme a bit in my Far Point campaign. IMG, Kallyri
> vingans started saying things like 'the freedom of Sartar means freedom for
> us all', or 'The Storm tribe must unite to defeat its most ancient enemy.'
> This sort of sloganeering went down like a krashkid at an Uroxi temple bash.
> Appeals to loot, cattle, old feuds and revenge for defeats during the
> Righteous Wind were more likely to get the warriors active. When the
> victories started, and the tribes rose in the south, this sort of language
> became more common - as long as there was still loot and vengeance.

I would expect this to be the case amongst the Aldachuri tribes. They only joined Sartar in 1582 and seemingly only because of an immediate threat from the Lunar Empire. I would be very surprised if there was any strong feeling for Sartar as a nation in this area.

As I've said before, this is also probably true of many people (a sizeable
majority) in Sartar proper too, I just think that belief in the Ring of Sartar
is a significant stream of thought in that area.

> Yet there *is* a stream of trans-clan unity that runs through the heart of
> Heortling culture. Every adult male (and all vingans) have triumphed in 'I
> Fought We Won' during their Orlanth (male) initiation. They have experienced
> the overwhelming power of united lifekind in its defiant, willful, desperate
> victory against the Unlife, the eternal affirmation of unity and common
> purpose. Now Heortlings aren't given to philosophising or wordy elaboration,
> but the memory and raw power of that experience will stay with them for
> life.

Yep, another source of unity for the Orlanthi

> Ernaldans of course, have their own concepts and traditions of unity, a
> unity achieved through the marriages of the Goddess and the marriages of
> the clans.

And another

> I believe Kallyr and the Argraths *did* resurrect some of the seeds planted
> by Sartar, building on this common experience of lifekind defeating The
> Chaos, and the notions and rituals of the House Royal. There may well have
> been Other Side quests and rituals to achieve this.
>
> Of course, the larger your 'clan' becomes, the larger and more deadly become
> the treacheries of kinstrife. 'The old foe, ever at our necks...'

Another reason, why I think the cult of Sartar must have had a strong influence, as the treacheries of kinstrife amongst the nation don't seem to be particularly bad in Sartar except for the Elmali problem which they solve and towards the end in the reign of Terasarin.

> All IMG of course.
>
> John

And in IMG and IMO of course as well :-)

Martin