Sartar, Orlanthi and Change

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_thestableyard.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:09:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Martin Dick wrote:

> I would've thought that the establishment of cities by themselves,
> would have caused significant changes in the culture, let alone
> any influence of Sartar and his heirs. Is there any particular
> reason why they are the same, as it strikes me as a bit boring
> for them to be essentially the same after three hundred years.
> Maybe I'm missing the big picture?

In my campaign, one of the major themes is that the Hero Wars is a battle over the nature of change. Orlanth, amongst other things, is a god of change, and yet his worshippers are about as traditionalist and conservative as can be found anywhere. They hate the Lunars for their rigid bureaucracy, and yet the Lunars are in fact the more flexible, and therefore provide a better embodiment of change than the Orlanthi. Hence, Orlanth is losing - his worshippers resistance to change weakens his and therefore their magic.

To win, the Orlanthi will have to embrace change, and in drastic ways. This is (part of) Argrath's secret. The problem is, by the time they win they won't be themselves any more.

Cheers,
Graham