Walls and Roads, clan conservatism

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 07:18:05 -0800

At 01:38 AM 2/6/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Does that include the walls of Jonstown and Wilmskirk. Did he have
>dwarf aid there?

No. The work on those was done by human hands.

>It seems a bit odd to me that the cult of Sartar
>wouldn't have a Building Affinity with a Road Building feat and a
>Wall Building feat.

He doesn't have those feats or affinities. Sartar's dwarf connections were personal and were not successfully carried forward by his descendants.

>> Jonstown Temple is formed by the CULT, not the tribes.
>
>But surely the cult and the temple are supported by the tribes
Sure the tribes give some support to the temple. After all, it is in their city and they have better access because of that, and it is is to their advantage to do so. Theya re proud that their city has the High Temple of Lhankor Mhy in it. But it's not a city cult, it is a very obscure cult that draws members from all across Sartar. They have the responsibility of maintaining their own sacred grounds.

>I would've thought that the establishment of cities by themselves,
>would have caused significant changes in the culture, let alone
>any influence of Sartar and his heirs. Is there any particular
>reason why they are the same, as it strikes me as a bit boring
>for them to be essentially the same after three hundred years.
>Maybe I'm missing the big picture?

They came from a culture with cities.
Also, most clans don't have dirfect contact with thei cities. the cities do not impact their day to day life. They go to their clan market every couple weeks when the peddlars congregate, they go to their tribal market when they need unusual products or luxury goods. They go to cities when tthey need exotic luxury goods. But probably 54 out of 56 days per season they are at home, on clan grounds.

I think most of us do not have a clear picture of just how conservaive traditonal people are. In my experience and opinion the intertia of "how things are" is nearly immobile unless serious outside contraints impose themselves.

>To win, the Orlanthi will have to embrace change, and in drastic
>ways. This is (part of) Argrath's secret. The problem is, by the time they
>win they won't be themselves any more.

Hey, this is a major theme in Hero Wars future.

>Martin, these are _external_ matters, relationships _between_
>the tribes. I'm pointing out that there's no record of Sartar
>of his heirs resolving a matter _within_ a tribe or clan, the
>sort that crops up in KoDP.

I tend to agree with this statement.
Sartar rarely meddled with internal affairs of a tribe or a clan UNLESS INVITED TO DO SO by them. Such invitation is not seen to be a weakness, as long as the results are benficial to the parties involved.

>Yes, and he resolved it _before_ he became Prince of Sartar.
>If the Princes of Sartar were settling disputes with a minimum
>of fuss, then I wouldn't expect such a major dispute to go
>unresolved during the reign of three princes.
That the difficulties continued for so long is a measure of their magnitude, and the fact that Tarkalor solved it is a measure of his greatness.

>Your interpretation, not mine. I simply pointed out that the
>building of Boldhome was performed with the aid of the dwarves
>and that IMO the tribes provided nothing to this end.
This is true, too.
Sartar proved that HE could do it (uh, with a little help from his friends.) "And if you want a city of your own, I'll help you do it..."

>But Fazzur did not meet Temertain until _after_ the revolt had
>ended. Despite this, he's prepared to accept Temertain as a
>prince as soon as he gets the message and summons the rebels
In my game this was because Fazzur knew what a dolt Temertain was.