Re: water sources in the golden age

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 12:11:59 +0100

Douglas Seay

> If I understand correctly rivers are part of an invasion of the land
> during the darkness.

Although it's true that some rivers were formed during the Darkness, that statement is generally incorrect.

The river *systems* themselves were formed mostly during the Green Age (early Green Age) as the lands separated from the waters. Hills and valleys. However, the current river *beds* are the result of many upheavals over the course of many Ages of Glorantha.

Invasions-wise, there was a peaceful and fruitful invasion of the lands during the early Green Age ; the Flood during the Storm Age (which created the majority of the current river beds) ; the fight against Dry Chaos during the Darkness which created most of the others (including, I believe, the Zola Fel valley frinstance). A few ancient Green Age river beds survive (such as the Oslira), but they are a minority.

> If so there are few (none?) rivers before hand.

False.

> Does this imply that Golden Age Dara Happan cities were all located near
> "standing water" (lakes, fresh water seas, etc)? If not, how did they
> get water?

Wrong

> Was there rain before the Storm Gods?

Yes : there are still some rain clouds ( a minority) that move independently of the winds.

> Was there a
> profession dedicated to digging wells and raising enough water from
> underground sources for cities and irrigation?

Yes. However, these are Styx waters, and well-digging only became widespread during the darkness.

Julian Lord