Sartar occupational politics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:59:43 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>To wit: Euglyptus of the Assiday family of Raibanth is the Provincial field
>general from 1602 to 1613. Under his aegis "Lunar gentlemen" scoured the
>Holy Country for descendants of Sartar to kill.

We don't know if _he_ sent the "Lunar Gentlemen". FWIW they missed a direct descendant of Sartar in Seapolis and did not trouble to visit Pavis where they would have found Dorasor's heirs in abundance. Whoever they were, two-bit dart assassins from the Heartlands could have done a much better job.

>Under his aegis Pavis was
>taken and the Dorasor branch of Sartar's descendants was offed.

Do we know that he ordered or even wanted this? AFAIK there's at least two other culprits.

>Fazzur deals with the rebellion without drawing upon the resources of
>the Empire, and for this alone the bureaucracy will have favoured him
>for the post of governor-general. Tatius the Bright, apparently
>notorious for drawing vast funds from the Empire,

I don't think that fiscal prudence figures largely in the mindset of the Empire's military aims. The Heartland Nobles want wars in which they can get drenched in blood and glory. Tarsh's aims are similar. The cost of the Pavis campaign was virtually criminal yet no stigma attaches to the general who blew away a fortune in conquering the city at the edge of the world.

Likewise Fazzur is not hailed because he deals with the rebellion without calling in Heartland reinforcements. If anything, he will be disliked because he prevented those Heartlanders from fighting with glory. What he is hailed for is marching with a small army against a million naked savages with bones in their noses (or something like that) and he won. That is why he became Provincial General.

>apparently Tatius disapproves.

I think Tatius would be far more upset that his cousin, Euglyptus, was killed than how Fazzur makes peace. He aims to discredit Fazzur and win further glory himself.

>After this episode, the official Lunar line apparently is that
>Temertain is firmly on Estal's leash,

While it may be common knowledge among the Lunars, it's not what any of them would say publicly. "Temertain is a valued and trusted ally of the Glorious Red Moon" is the official line.