Just how conservative are the Brithini?

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:41:59 +0800

Peter replies to me
> >Me>If a river appeared after Bob the Brithini was ordered to haul water
>> >from a well two thousand years ago, then he would still do it.
>
>>though it would indicate that a Talar somewhere responsible
>>for issuing new orders was not doing their job.
>
>IMO he would only issue new orders if the old order became
>impossible to carry out (i.e. the well ran dry). Change
>should not be tolerated unless it is unavoidable and all
>that.

        It all comes down to just HOW incredibly conservative the Brithini are. More so than any RW culture, for sure. But are they unbelievably conservative, or unbelievably and stupidly conservative?

        I can believe, for example, that Brithini would continue drawing water from the same water source without ever checking the next valley to see if there was a better water source, as long was water supplies were adequate. But I don't think that they would ignore changes that do occur - I don't think the Talar would continue to order the water carrier to gather water from the well for centuries if he was aware that a river had sprung up in the way. The response might be unbelievably conservative, though. Order several years of magical tests on the new water source, allow a small group to test drinking it for some years, etc.

        But its a YMMV thing - the Brithini are certainly more conservative than any human culture, its just a question of just how much by.

        Cheers

                David