Exceptions, not the norms

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 15:35:09 -0800

At 11:45 AM 2/8/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>The Glorantha Digest Thursday, February 8 2001 Volume 08 : Number 258

Several mentions in here need to be clarified along a single theme: the examples given are exception, not the norms.

>> I am unsure why there is no record of *any* maverick troll
>> (or an Illuminated troll) *ever* using a bow.

I am sure there is such an individual. But it is so unusual and unique that it has never warranted discussion. Such a being has a story that is for a campaign or imagination to make. But I think there's only one such.

>The sword-using trolls are Humakti from the Sazdorf Ruins.
Critical fact! This oddity is also unusual but occurred in our own campaign. I wonder if the Uz at Sazdorf still worship Humakt at all now? but this is another exception that was brought about by the story.

>Or even worse, FIRE? Fire is hated for mythological reasons, and
>yet ZZ will use it. Why not iron?

And of course, ZZ is so tough that he can even beat fire, the ancestral foe. An exceptional power among the fire fearing uz.

The phenomena at work here is natural. We wonder what weapons the trolls use, see an example of the Sazdorf with swords, and can assume uz carry swords. But in many of the stories or myths that I write are singled out because the are exceptional. The Heortling heroes are worshipped because they did something different.

My real point is this: make it into the story of your game. A bow shooting troll band worshipping this obscure entity is a pretty interesting thing to cause player heroes concern. That is exactly what Hero Wars is about: making your story.