Yelmalio in Balazar

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:45:08 +1300

Michael Cule:

>My current group are heading out of Pavis to spend some time (basically
>'until the heat dies down') in Balazar. Two of them are Yelmalions
>assigned to help the High Priest there and I was wondering if any of you
>(especially Jane Williams and MOB) have given any thought as to how the
>revelations about Elmal (as well as some of your more fervent
>speculations about dragons and such) might affect the history/background
>of the cult up north.

Elmal is not worshipped in Balazar because he is an Orlanthi God and the locals are Votanki. When Balazar colonized Votankiland, the EWF had been kicked out of Dara Happa for quite some time (about a century before). Hence the Yelmalions of Balazar are free of draconist heresy.

There might be another sort of "heresy" in Balazar. It's probably Rinliddi-inspired and might have something to do with the Giant Vrok that they fly (AR p33 connects them with the Goddess Meraran). There's also the detail that when Balazar left, a Rinliddi noble was on the imperial throne.