Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #267

From: Coridan <argrath_at_agoron.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:25:15 -0000

> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:51:40 +0100
> From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Sun & Immortality
>
> > >I don't think this is quite correct: the sun never
> > >disappeared from the eastern sky (at least this is
> > >the case for Vithela, but I think it is valid for
> > >Kralorela as well). Some easterners say that the sun
> > >changed somehow at the Dawn, but it was not a return
> > >from long absence.
> >
> > Can I found this status even in Theistic Timetravel?
> > I have already seen "Thunder Rebels" Theistical Genertela of God Age.
>
> If you perform a theist heroquest in the East Isles you
> will get to the mythic ages of Vithela of course. How
> feasible it is to travel between the Orlanthi otherworld
> and teh Vithelan one is hard to tell. You'll have to
> pass a huge mountain chain and probably hostile areas in
> between. Then you will face hostile world penalties.

Is this entirely true? Say, if a group of Orlanthi come to the East Isles, set up a temple or other Holy Site, and then perform a rite on the appropriate holy day, wouldn't they come into the Orlanthi otherside? Or how the Orlanthi view this particular place in their own myths?

One of Arkats great triumphs, which was later exploited by the God Learners, was making use of local myth and learning how to navigate it. I'm sure with his mystical Illumination ability of "Impersonate God" or "Impersonate Hero", he could take whatever mythic role was needed, sally forth into the Hero Plane, take the role of Orlanth or Zorak Zoran or whatever and complete their quests and gain their powers. He probably spent much time boning up on the myths of the cults he wanted to plunder first, and perhaps even joined them, so that the Feats and other abilities he needed to use would be available to him... for example, if he wanted to loot a Humakt Heroquest, he'd only make use of Humakti Affinities.

The God Learner Secret, on the other hand, was that they found a way of finding a myth's corresponding node on the Sorcery plane, and attacked it as an abstract grouping of mathematical symbols, degrading myth into mere technology. They discovered the "machine code" behind Theistic myths and bypassed the God Plane all together, attacking those myths and powers on the sorcery plane and thus manipulating them - the use of Correspondences is very much a western ritual magic thing, and very much in keeping with the western european flavor of the Malkioni and the God Learners.

Chris Bell
argrath_at_agoron.com
coridan_at_shai-net.com