Arkat & Godlearners of Chris Bell

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:30:46 +0900

>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:25:15 -0000
>From: "Coridan" <argrath_at_agoron.com>
>Subject: Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #267

IMHO you made good and bold suggestion which I want to agree you. But some of which I think that should be added in "Arkati" or "Godlearner" technic.

>> > Can I found this status even in Theistic Timetravel?
>> > I have already seen "Thunder Rebels" Theistical Genertela of God Age.
>>
>> If you perform a theist heroquest in the East Isles you
>> will get to the mythic ages of Vithela of course. How
>> feasible it is to travel between the Orlanthi otherworld
>> and teh Vithelan one is hard to tell. You'll have to
>> pass a huge mountain chain and probably hostile areas in
>> between. Then you will face hostile world penalties.

>Is this entirely true? Say, if a group of Orlanthi
>come to the East Isles, set up a temple or other
>Holy Site, and then perform a rite on the appropriate
>holy day, wouldn't they come into the Orlanthi
>otherside? Or how the Orlanthi view this particular
>place in their own myths?

IMHO,
Maybe you cannot be in the same "Orlanthi" in the such circumstance, you may need to change your worship to more suitable style in such a distant place from your homeland. You know, Orlanthi lives in Fronela, Ralios, Maniria, and distant Umathela. But all of them don't perceive "Great Mountain of Mother" as Kero Fin or Top of World. You may need similar focus to Arkati or Godlearners....for Greater Perspective (and faithless) Shape of Worship from Native Kero Fin to Now lost Spike, true Center of World for Building Temple of Orlanthi in East Isles. (Or remove to more suitable eastern Wind Gods.)

>One of Arkats great triumphs, which was later exploited
>by the God Learners, was making use of local
>myth and learning how to navigate it. I'm sure with his
>mystical Illumination ability of "Impersonate God"
>or "Impersonate Hero", he could take whatever
>mythic role was needed, sally forth into the Hero Plane,
>take the role of Orlanth or Zorak Zoran or whatever and
>complete their quests and gain their powers. He probably
>spent much time boning up on the myths of the cults he
>wanted to plunder first, and perhaps even joined them,
>so that the Feats and other abilities he needed to use
>would be available to him... for example, if he
>wanted to loot a Humakt Heroquest, he'd only make
>use of Humakti Affinities.

More Rush Thought...
I think he also explored New Magic...which requires Mass Magic and drastically change
Hostile Other Side to Similar but More Familiar Side. In Historical Line, many of Theists think even they can kill or erase Gods, and might succeed. Many Dara Happans came to Dragon Pass (Lokamayadon, Iron Vrok, Tatius, etc...) think he could conquer or erase Existence of Storm Realm. He might change his Power in some technics from Sorcery Plane to Theistic Plane, and Theistic Plane to Animist Plane for fighting Nysalor...and I think he used peculiar nature of Underworld which is Indistinct. I think that is why his Sect is Called "Stygian Heresy." (I think 4 world definition coming from God Learners....Still Exceptions exists in modern Glorantha, Dragon Magic and Song of Elf. IMO Much more categories existed in Older World.I think if Lunars succeed, Orlanth worship will become misapplied worship of More favorable Gods of Lunar. )

(Water of Greek Five Underworld River (Lethe?) controlled Memory of People..Memory is controlling Subjective World...Historically, Amnesia Spirits worked hard and was too busy after Arkat destroyed Nysalor, OOO destroyed Zistor, Inhuman King destroyed EWF....in the Glorantha.)

I think Other Side is Mirror of Middle World...If Lunars won each Battleplace, maybe Heroquesters of Orlanthi saw again and again Mythology of "Yelmalio defeats Elmal", "Yelm generously forgave Orlanth's Misdeed in Underworld." And they soon find difficult to succeed in Heroquest and require new technic....

>The God Learner Secret, on the other hand, was that
>they found a way of finding a myth's corresponding
>node on the Sorcery plane, and attacked it as an abstract
>grouping of mathematical symbols, degrading myth into
>mere technology. They discovered the "machine code"
>behind Theistic myths and bypassed the God Plane
>all together, attacking those myths and powers on the sorcery
>plane and thus manipulating them - the use of Correspondences
>is very much a western ritual magic thing, and very much in
>keeping with the western european flavor of the
>Malkioni and the God Learners.

I think you strike some vein, but I think I added they are Successor of Arkati after they killed Pasrac and his Subjects in the "Return of Righteous" crusade. Arkat used his Illumination for slipping and sidestepping Demons of Reprisal...but maybe he used it for Possitive Way.

Many of Horrible and Disastrous Mass Magic were used in History of Glorantha. I think Hero Wars Rule is more suitable to describe "Moonburn", "Night of Horror", "Closing of Sea", etc...than that under the Runequest Rule.

Game Rules binding Glorantha, of course for Suitable Reason. If I control All of Glorantha, it will soon come to burst for Many Heretical Sorcerors and Marauders. (Sorry, Mage the Ascension Word...)