Otherworld realms

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:38:31 +0100

Me:

> > If you perform a theist heroquest in the East Isles you
> > will get to the mythic ages of Vithela of course. How
> > feasible it is to travel between the Orlanthi otherworld
> > and teh Vithelan one is hard to tell. You'll have to
> > pass a huge mountain chain and probably hostile areas in
> > between. Then you will face hostile world penalties.

Chris Bell:

> Is this entirely true? Say, if a group of Orlanthi
> come to the East Isles, set up a temple or other
> Holy Site, and then perform a rite on the appropriate
> holy day, wouldn't they come into the Orlanthi
> otherside?

Yes of course, I didn't intend to imply that your geographic whereabouts is a deciding factor for where you end up in the Otherworld. What I mean is that Orlanthi go to Orlanth's stead when heroquesting and East Islanders go to Vith's realm. Then, once you are there, travel to other realms within the theist Otherworld are possible but difficult and dangerous.

That said, I think it would be more difficult for a band of shipwrecked Orlanthi to heroquest from a Vithelan island than from back home (no familiar world mountain nearby etc.).

> One of Arkats great triumphs, which was later exploited
> by the God Learners, was making use of local
> myth and learning how to navigate it. I'm sure with his
> mystical Illumination ability of "Impersonate God"
> or "Impersonate Hero", he could take whatever
> mythic role was needed, sally forth into the Hero Plane,
> take the role of Orlanth or Zorak Zoran or whatever and
> complete their quests and gain their powers.

Absolutely, and the more foreign the culture/mythology (Orlanthi-Vithelan), the more difficult and dangerous it is.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?