Pigs

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:38:17 +1300

Oliver Bernuetz:

>As far as I know Dendara would replace Ernalda in Sun County since she
>was faithful when Ernalda left to marry whathisface.

She doesn't. Yelmalio is married to Ernalda. Yelm is said to have spurned faithless Ernalda in favour of Dendara but he and Yelmalio are not the same deity. Secondly Dendara is no longer an earth goddess, so she's ill-suited as a replacement for Ernalda.

>I still would have expected a Solar name if the pig was brought in with
>Balazar's colonists. There doesn't seem to be any point to stealing the god
>from either the dragons or the Heortlings in Dragon Pass when they could
>have just introduced the Solar version.

Nevertheless the fact is that it was done. There could have been a number of reasons why they didn't bring pigs or were forced to steal them from the dragons.

>A Heortling swine god also seems more unlikely given that
>the Votanki are ancient enemies of the Heortlings according to
>Thunder Rebels.

I do recall a hunter-king with a sign on his citadel saying "no pigs". Either way, it's evidence for the Citadel folk having a different culture than the Votanki.

>Why the extra difficulty of introducing an enemy god into a
>pantheon?

There is nothing inherent to Entra to indicate that she is an enemy to the Votanki. Both the Orlanthi and the Dara Happans have several gods in their pantheon that were once enemies: the Helerings are mentioned as one in Thunder Rebels while Deshkorgos was an enemy god to Lodril. Capturing a god and making it serve you has always been the stuff of heroquests.

>Stealing worship of a swine spirit seems a heck of a lot easier.

And whereabouts does one find this swine spirit? The nearest is Mralota worshipped in distant Ramalia, a quarter of the continent away.