Re: The World Is Made of Everything, Godlearners

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:21:47 GMT

>From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
>
>What I still don't understand, and which I think is worth discussing, is how
>Glorantha *changes*. What happens to the local otherworld of a culture that is
>shifting from animism to sorcery, frinstance ?
>
>Does the relationship between the otherworlds shift only under extraordinary
>circumstances, when the world is destroyed frinstance ? Or can a culture's magical
>worldview evolve and shift slowly over time ?
>
>Basically, is the strict division between the otherworlds a transitional state or
>an unchangeable cosmic truth ?

I'm convinced the rigid demarkation between Mystic, Theistic, Sorcerous and Animistic cultures and otherworlds is a Hero Wars game mechanic to avoid a horde of PC super-Arkats. Misapplied worship comes from the same source. A lot of cultures combine Animistic and Theistic worship, the Hrestoli Church combines Sorcery with Theism and the Lunar empire allows everything although usually only one for a particular individual. Each culture views the otherworld using the symbols of that culture and those symbols *can* change over time. So a troll calls on the spirit of her grandmother (Animism) in the same way as she calls on Kyger Litor (Theism). Equally the Heortling calls on the clan hero in the same way he calls on Orlanth. On the heroplane they all have similar effects - using magic to alter either the heroplane or the real world.

This is of course only my view, I hope it's comprehensible.

>From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>

>However I thought the 'What is the Godlearners'
>secret' was on a prohibited list of - topics not worth
>debating 'cos the folks that know sure ain't telling.

I thought it was because any time someone tried to explain it, the mailing list server crashed.