Re: Two-system magicians?

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:23:08 -0800

> Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:02:01 EST
> From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
> Subject: Re: Mixed Worship
>
> Donald Oddy:
>
> << the Hrestoli Church combines Sorcery with Theism >>
>
> No, the Hrestoli Churches use sorcery alone. That includes miracles and
> blessings as well as the grimoire-related spells, but none of those things
> are at all theist. There is no God but the Invisible God. Theist magic is a
> great naughtiness before the eyes of the Lord, and shall be expunged by our
> righteous sorcerer knights. Nicely expunged, of course - we aren't Rokari!
> You are most likely thinking of the henotheists in Ralios, at least some
> of which do use a combination of the two types of magic (although probably
> not in the same individual).

Now, is it completely impossible for someone to practice sorcerous magic and theistic magic at the same time?

I'm thinking of someone like Maculus the Monitor, who was a sorceror and an Irrippi Ontor initiate at the same time. Also, GoG notes that certain cults (like Etyries) were open to sorcerors. I've got a lunar Etyzaal alchemist PC (gotta love that "vivisection" skill, him and Danfive Xaronites get along happily), who was also an Irrippi Ontor initiate (at a low affinity level [13]), but came in handy).

If I'm violating a major HW precept, I'd like to know (though my PC wouldn't mind at all, probably a result of one of his lobotomy-brain splicing experiments). Or would he use feats in the affinities in a spell-like way?

Tom