Migrating clans

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:45:23 +0000

> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:08:49 -0600
> From: "Oliver Bernuetz" <oliver_bernuetz_at_hotmail.com>
> Subject: Two Heortling questions

- -..
> In the campaign I'm co-running an offshoot of a southern
> group of Heortlings is travelling north... They're adopting a group from another clan that
> wants to join them. Is anything known about what this would involve.

Forging a Ring seems to be the Heortling way of integration. If a Ring already exists, I guess one could reforge the Ring.

If the incomers are few and mostly unmarried, one could simply marry them. In my Fire Bull campaign, this is the solution Karath Sweet-voice (played by Charles Corrigan) has suggested.

> In a related question when groups of Heortlings move do they take their dead
> with them i.e. dig up the urnfield, or do they expect their ancestors to
> find them wherever they go?

Digging up the urn field is rather ridiculous, I feel. The ancestors live on the Other Side, and stay there except on Ancestors Day. As they are crossing from the Other Side, rather than from the urn field itself, I doubt the location of the settlements of their descendants matters.

The only exception would be the clan wyter. IMO, this is usually the founder of the clan. The wandering clan will have to take the 'body' of that ancestor with them (often in a handy iron ring).