Re: Black Net

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:58:23 +0100

Peter Metcalfe catches me being unclear:

>>IG>Could anyone tell me where the Pure Horse Warriors,
>>>who disappeared in the Black Net, actually went? The
>>>notion that I am operating under is that they
>>>disappeared and didn't actually die.

>Joerg Baumgartner:
>>Not warriors, but old people and children, the warriors had been spent in
>>the battle of Alavan Argay almost to a man.

>That's not what KoS p192 says. It talks of "prisoners" being
>chucked into the net with the implication that these are prisoners
>from the _battle_.

How far are the families and herds of the cornered tribe from the final battle? I'd guess pretty close, as in "last stand of the defenders".

>I think the treatment of the prisoners detailed
>in KoS is a separate event from the flight of the pure horse
>remainder to Dragon Pass as no mention is made in the P&BR of
>the latter being forced into the Black Net.

The flight needn't have been through the Black Net, but could have used the "Invisible in Daylight" talent of the Grazers. However, the Praxians did succeed in taking prisoners - warriors or noncombatant captives intended as slaves - and these disappeared from the Net.

>>It isn't sure whether Derek Poljoni discovering the Black Net means
>>that he pulled more survivors of the Pure Horse People .

>Well, he's looking for horse people, has heard from Orlanth of
>the Black Net, and the only other people mentioned in connection
>are the Pure Horse Tribe.

In an earlier discussion David Dunham pointed out to me that just when Derek attracted horse nomads there was great trouble in the Grazelands, and quite a lot of clans left when the Feathered Horse Queen changed things. While adopting cattle-herding is against Grazer traditions, so is being ruled by an earth queen (as some clans may have seen the changes), and it is quite likely that a lot of Grazers, individually or as clans, ended up in western Prax - maybe accounting for the non-Poljoni clans of the Barbarian Horde in Dragon Pass boardgame.

Even if Derek managed to pull Pure Horse remnants from the Net, this doesn't mean there aren't any left astray on the Other Side. Enough for a surprise raiding party or a small horsebound clan, perhaps.