Dual Ways

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:49:12 +1300

Thomas McVey:

> > >Now, is it completely impossible for someone to practice sorcerous
> > >magic and theistic magic at the same time?

>Me> No, it is not. But unless you have some special insight or
> > cosmic knowledge,

>Like say, illumination, or serving a god of knowledge,

No. IMO Illumination's benefits lie elsewhere (not having to obey any strictures that come with learning magic) and I fail to see why following a god of knowledge should confer any ability to cast alien magic. Are Lhankor Mhy types practitioners of spirit magic and sorcery?

>or following the path of your chosen hero/demigod/saint (e.g. Etyzaal the
>Alchemist followed Irrippi until he discovered the path of Wisdom Thru
>Unspeakable Experiments),

This may be so but it certainly isn't a commonplace. The only hero that I know to have done such a thing was Arkat.

>or just being a Weird Lunar?

Lunars as a rule do not go for mixing strange powers. Any that do are very weird indeed.

> > dual practices will hinder rather than
> > enhance. At the least, learning secrets will be impossible.

>For the "minor" path or the both paths?

Both paths. The "minor path" will interfere with your ability to know the secret of the major path.

>Seems a bit strange that an Irrippi Ontor (or even an LM) initiate or
>devotee dabbling in a bit of soulless sorcery would prevent them from
>learning the secret of their god.

Then ponder upon why their god doesn't teach such magic.

>What else is the "Read Malkoni Writings" feat in the IO writeup for?

Malkioni happen to use writings for reasons beyond inscribing spellbooks.