Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #280

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:26:45 -0800

At 11:45 AM 2/27/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Jerome Blondel:
>
>> >They are related to or associated with the Blue People that invaded
>> >mythical Wendaria. The Blue People came from the Sweet Sea that
>> >also flooded much of Fronela during this time.
>
>>Is this canonical or just an assumption?
>
>I've been told there is a connection between the two and the
The connection is not necessarily direct, except that they came fro Fronela. The whole "blue people age" is fuzzy.

>Janubian Flooding of Fronela was the subject of a Greg's Q&A
>some time ago ("Why does the Sweet Sea have two rivers flowing
>from it?" or something like that).

The curious ought to revisit that site.

>>The Logicians were those guys who kept challenging people at magic
>>contests, weren't they?

This term is descries anyone using sorcery from the west. At different periods it may indicate different dominant cultures.

>AFAIK they've stopped doing it since the last people they challenged
>(the Carmanians) turned out to be such sore losers.
Actually, the last wave of Logician invasion WAS the Carmanians.

>>And they came from the Land of Logic.
>
>That's correct. Their philosophy is probably indistinguishable
>from that taught at the University of Sog City.
This is true for the earliest waves.

>> In a related question when groups of Heortlings move do they take their
dead
>> with them i.e. dig up the urnfield, or do they expect their ancestors to
>> find them wherever they go?
>
>Digging up the urn field is rather ridiculous, I feel.
>The ancestors live on the Other Side, and stay there except on
>Ancestors Day. As they are crossing from the Other Side, rather than
>from the urn field itself, I doubt the location of the settlements of
>their descendants matters.

Actually, it does matter. It is easier for those weary old folk to get home if they don't have to travel from Heortland to Sartar. But I do not think they dig up ancestors and bring them. I think that abandoning your dead is a terrible trauma.

>In an earlier discussion David Dunham pointed out to me that just when Derek
>attracted horse nomads there was great trouble in the Grazelands, and quite
>a lot of clans left when the Feathered Horse Queen changed things. While
>adopting cattle-herding is against Grazer traditions, so is being ruled by
>an earth queen (as some clans may have seen the changes), and it is quite
>likely that a lot of Grazers, individually or as clans, ended up in western
>Prax - maybe accounting for the non-Poljoni clans of the Barbarian Horde in
>Dragon Pass boardgame.

This is correct.

>> > Also, GoG notes that certain cults (like Etyries) were open to sorcerors.
>>
>> In RQ the line was drawn differently - sorcerer's couldn't indulge in
spirit
>> magic, but could join cults. Are we officially Gregging that?

I am.
The rule of the universe is that there are rules for these things. Many exceptions exist, and we'll be illustrating many of them. (Aeolus, Umath, Gagarth, etc.)
Hero cults in particular have a way of bypassing the rules.

>Seems a bit strange that an Irrippi Ontor (or even an LM) initiate or
devotee dabbling
>in a bit of soulless sorcery would prevent them from learning the secret
of their god.
>What else is the "Read Malkoni Writings" feat in the IO writeup for?
Reading and learning cosmic secrets are not the same thing.