Ernalda The Sensualist

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 15:19:00 +1100

G'day all,

Ernalda The Sensual

Joerg Baumgartner:

>If you want a deity for female sexual experimentation, I'd look for a
>not so childish version of Voria. When you look into it closely, flowers
>are a plant's sexual organs, and Voria has them all over...
>
>The practice of the Demivierge of Rhigos seems to point in this
>direction while laying great importance to the merely physical aspect of
>virginity.

True, but the Demivierge's version of the Voria cult is a *very* atypical, some would say a perverted and obscene parody. I go into this (and a possible reason why) in my latest Jaxarte story "Jaxarte and the Demivierge", which will be published in a forthcoming TotRM. Here's the relevant excerpt, the footnotes are by his biographer Floriat Fedora:

[After leaving the Cradle on the high seas, Jaxarte has sold as a Herd Man by the Vadeli...]

   [6] The Demivierge rules Rhigos as High Priestess and Virgin

       Queen of the Voria cult. A hereditary matriarchy, the
       queens rule until they choose to bear an heir.  The
       subsequent Festival of Fecundation is a time of great
       joy throughout the city, which is garlanded with specially
       plucked flowers.  A key part of the celebrations are the
       Onanismic Games, where the queen gets to select her long-
       awaited First Mate. Men flock from all over Porthomeka to
       prove their virility.  Events such as the Snatch & Jerk and
       Monkey-Spanking are always crowd pleasers.

   [7] Conservatives say the cult became an obscene parody of itself
       during the reign of her mother.  Is it a coincidence that this
       particular queen was the one who made the deals with the
       Vadeli, and subsequently proceeded to stretch the definition
       of "virgin" to its current, deplorable bounds?

MICHAEL O'BRIEN
Department of Science and Mathematics Education The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052 Australia
           Telephone: +613-8344-8526  mobile: 04-3828-9048
           Email me : mailto:mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au
     MOB's Home Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/index.html
MOB's Glorantha Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/glorindex.html
 DOB Footy Scrapbook: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/dobfootycard.html