Orlanthi Sexuality (was: Ernalda the Sensual)

From: Coridan <argrath_at_agoron.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 20:01:51 -0000

> Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 08:26:23 -0800
> From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
> Subject: Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #285
>
> John Hughes again enlightens us. Good work John and Jeff. Nice piece.
> I have only two little caveats:
>
> >Most married men are initiates of Orlanth The Farmer, but in their youth
> >they follow Orlanth Adventurous.
> Maybe. I think that most Orlanthi, like most people, just graduate to
> adulthoodand go right into the working class: farmers. The Adventurous
> option is there for those who want to take it, but I think most people are
> content to skip it. Content? Relieved.
>
> >A woman (even a married one) may dally with such a man,
> Married dalliance with Niskis is the subject of love stories. It is not
> permission for promiscuity. Under normal circumstances dalliance would be
> forbidden, but in some cases the "power of Niskis" is too great between a
> couple. but if you got busted with my wife, then your (and her) ONLY out
> would be pass ritual tests to PROVE you both were possessed by Niskis and
> his over.

And what if they did? Does the aggrieved husband have the right to divorce the wife? Or is the husband now at fault, since he was not obviously "man" enough to keep his wife satisfied? Would worshippers of Durev the steadholder occasionally give worship to Nistis to bring some *zing!* into their love lives and please their wives?

> And how comes no one has mentioned Yinkin?
> Yinkin the other great sensualist, a seducer, a sexual being

Because we *all* know what Yinkin is about. :) My questions were specifically about Ernalda. It seems as if men have a much more open field to dally in Orlanthi society, especially as young men. It seems mythically that Ernalda owns her own sexuality, and can give it to whom pleases her enough, and can only have it bound by true and enduring love. I would also guess that there would be precedent for an Ernaldan Wife sleeping with the best friend of her husband while he was away, so long as the husband was willing - mythically, this would reflect the relationship Orlanth has between himself, Elmal and Ernalda. Unlike in certain sections of modern day western society, I would assume that "No one can make you do anything" applies to both men and women, and the behavior of a young Orlanthi woman before she is married would scandalize a pious Malkioni or Dara Happan. I can imagine while sitting at the Hearth a young woman bubbling about her suitors, and mother asking matter of factly, "Have you slept with all of them yet? How rich or handsome he is won't matter if he's no good under the sheets. I want grandchildren, you know." I gather that Orlanthi deal with sex in a very matter of fact manner, and the troubles associated with gender and sex issues don't trouble them as much as these issues do Dara Happans or Malkioni.

About Yinkin - Is Yinkin only male, female, or both? I have a sense that Yinkin is an "acceptable" trickster outlet, as opposed to Eurmal, who's worship entails cutting all ties to clan and law in such a way that is deeper than even Humakts. I can imagine all sorts of stories where Orlanth and Yinkin change shape, perform coyote style tricks, and where older brother Yinkin teaches young Orlanth crazy wisdom that prepares him for kingship or to save the world.

About Orlanth and Homosexuality -

Not owning KoS (just having ordered it from the Issaries site), I'm not exactly sure how Homosexuality and Lesbianism are viewed or dealt with in Orlanthi society. I'm guessing that, again, so long as the relationship does not impinge on the sacred traditions of hearth nor family, that the practical-minded Orlanthi really don't care. So what if those two battle brothers play in the hayloft? Orlanth and Heler did so in Godtime. He still provides well for his family and takes good care of his wife! An Orlanthi man or woman who absolutely can not abide the sexual attentions of the opposite sex have alternatives in the various cults, such as Nandan (obviously), or perhaps Humakt, Heler or Elmal, where one can be an upstanding member of the Clan and not necessarily raise a family. Women have Vinga (again, obviously), Babs Gor, Maran Gor, and again, Humakt. These are, of course, merely my guesses.

For people who need to change sex to participate in certain mysteries - I'm sure that obscure subcults can provide certain sex changing magic that will allow those born either me or women to take on the characteristics of the opposite sex for the duration of the ceremony. For those who are transgendered in Glorantha, I can see taking on the "right" sex as being the object of quest and ritual. Such would no doubt be very odd, but, IMO, not condemned.

If I'm totally off base, please let me know, experts.