Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #290

From: haznurdu_at_yahoo.co.uk
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:57:39 +0000 (GMT)

Greetings everyone,

As it happens an appropriate beginning. I am playing a drogarsi and am somewhat at a loss as to how to phrase greetings, tales and orations.

I am sure there are expected forms to introduce a tale but these are not included even in such good examples as Beowulf.

What is sword dancing? Is it ballet dancing with a blade in your hand? Is it a re-enactment of a fight; if so how abstract is it ... ie ballet is much less easy to understand than the dancing fights in West Side Story.

Also as he is new in Hazard Fort he has been asked to swear an oath... much of what is being asked for seems inappropriate for a skald/wardancer as they seem tailored to farmers.

eg.

Questioning priest:

"Will you farm your stead, and not blow in the wind in
search of gold or fame?"

Drogarsi:

"Say what?"

Ian Gordon