Non-heortlings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:25:03 +1300

Jerome Blondel:

>I read the Kunkhorn story in Anaxial's Roster. In this story Heort is listed
>among the Fronelan Orlanthi gods, which means his customs reached really
>far.

It's not Heort's customs that Heort is remembered among the Fronelan Orlanthi for but rather his secret of the I Fought We Won. This was spread all over the barbarian belt by Orlanthi missionaries during the Dawn Age and is known by people who do not consider themselves to be Heortlings. I generally call them Resanti after a god named in Jonat's Saga.

> So i wondered if there were any non-Heortling Orlanthi in Glorantha
>(and especially Genertela). People who worship Orlanth but don't know about
>Heort (and possibly worship another survivor hero instead).

There are Harandings who worship Orlanth as a boar. They live west of the Holy Country. The Talastari claim descent from Talast (although he is really a Vingkotling-era hero) while the Sylilans pay homage to Odayla. The Orlanthi of Lankst honor Alakoring as their founder hero (although he was active around the Imperial Age) as do many Pelorian tribes, while the East Wilds Orlanthi (being barely civilized ex-hsunchen) are another distinct people. The only other Orlanthi people that I know are the Umathelans.

There are a couple of non-Orlanthi storm worshippers - the most common being the Yiggites (whose main god is Ygg Valindsson) and the Storm Pentans.

>In KoS, Heort is said to defeat Gagarth and bring back the Wand of Law. If
>some non-Heortlings didn't have such a hero who beats Gagarth, would their
>'Orlanth' be a sort of mix between Orlanth & Gagarth?

No. That myth is particular to the Heortlings and in places where Arrowmound Keep is unknown, a different myth is used to describe the return of Cosmic Justice.

>I have no idea of who those Orlanthi could be. I vaguely remember that
>someone betrayed Heort in KoS again, maybe it was at the Arrowmound Battle,

Nobody betrayed Heort. The original holder of Arrowmound Keep (Jorganos Archer) was later set upon by the Harandings after he won the court case but they were defeated with Orlanth's aid.