Re: Drogarsi

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:12:40 -0800

Ian Gordon wrote:

>I am sure there are expected forms to introduce a tale
>but these are not included even in such good examples
>as Beowulf.

There are several variants found in King of Sartar.

>What is sword dancing? Is it ballet dancing with a
>blade in your hand? Is it a re-enactment of a fight;
>if so how abstract is it ... ie ballet is much less
>easy to understand than the dancing fights in West
>Side Story.

I don't think it's a story-telling form per se -- aren't there Earthly cultures who do sword dancing because it shows off the dancer's skill with a spice of danger? See e.g. <http://www.thedonkey.org/Recycling/sword_dancing_europe.html>.

David Dunham dunham_at_pensee.com
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #292