non-Heortlings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:32:13 +1300

Julian Lord:

>Me> I don't think there are any [Orlanthi in the high valleys of the
> > Western Rockwoods.

>At the very least, there are the people of Lyran Mountain, who follow
>Voriof: although I've no idea whether they should be thought of as an
>ancient clan or as a tribe or sub-tribe.

Mount Lyran is a peak in the Hydra Mountains. I don't see any reference to sheep-farmers living there in Thunder Rebels. Given that it's a holy peak similar to Mount Quivin or Kerofin, I don't think any ordinary people live there but that the cultists of Voriof or perhaps Orolmarn visit that place in their holy rites.

> > Why is D:LoD out-of-date?

>Because the specifics of the Heortling, Alakoring, Dureving, Helering
>etc.) Tribes hadn't been defined when it was written ; apart from that,
>it's fine.

There isn't too much difference between the Alakorings and the Heortlings while the Durevings and the Helerings exist only in myth.

> > The boar motif is fairly standard among the Wenelians (Glorantha:
> > Intro p150, Thunder Rebels p54). The more sophisticated Wenelians
> > are Trader Princes rather than Orlanthi.

>Not all of them. For instance, some of the Solanthi clans are quite
>sophisticated "Orlanthi" peoples.

If you are inferring this from the example of Greymane and his ilk then a) Greymane sees Orlanth as a lion (his famous victory over the Holy Country is known as the Lion King's Feast) and b) until recently, the Solanthi were dominated by the Trader Prince and much of their sophistication is due to the Trader Princes rather than their being "sophisticated Orlanthi" as such. This is being gradually junked IMO as the Trader Princes are leaving in droves (since the Opening, the Old Wenelian Road has had it) and the barely-repressed boarishness of the Wenelians starts to show through.