Re: Umathela

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:34:23 -0800

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> The only Pamaltelan influence is the Ompalam Pantheon from nearby
> Fonrit as the Yranian Leapers and the Afadjanni have all pursued
> wars of conquest in Umathela. There is also some Vadeli influence,
> most notably at the port of Garanz.

I believe there was a fair amount of Pamaltelan influence dating back to the Six Legged Empire.

I believe the Vadeli have political influence, but no cultural.

Julian Lord

> > I believe the Umathelans
> > are only nominally Orlanthi, worshipping their own set of nine
> > Lightbringers (Sandy posted on this years ago).
>
> I think that this idea of Sandy's has been rejected, even though it
> was a very
> clever one.

I think Greg has said several times that there were more than 7 Lightbringers. It partly depends on who you count as being one of them.

> I think that the GLs must have failed with them, because
> while they are more tolerant to foreign religious ideas than the Heortlings
> are, it is because their core religious beliefs (essentially the same as the
> Heortlings') are more flexible and therefore quite resistant to foreign
> influence.

The Umathelans were cut off from their traditional sacred sites, and probably even had to switch to a different species of pig (which could survive in the different ecosystem). That they could survive this does speak well for their flexibility, but that very flexibility could be turned against them -- remember they were convinced to worship Jorampur, an "imaginary deity."

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein