Empire

From: Merlin Cox <merlin_at_broceliande.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:02:12 -0000

One of my inspirations for the recurring Gloranthan empire is Philip Dick's VALIS (see http://www.philipkdick.com/pkdweb/Tractates.htm). The Empire is the Black Iron Prison. 'The Empire never ended.' Compare the period during which 'He [the demiurge] causes things to look different so it would appear time has passed.' to Time in Glorantha.

This thinking is a little like the Trickster/Control pair in Robert Holdstock's Lavondyss. Any religion or great god must reconcile these celestial court powers. You can imagine the Lunar Empire caused by a little cancer-bug creeping into the philosophy of inclusion, causing a category error in which it thinks that the whole world must be included physically.

The Lunar Way is non-dualistic but it includes the solar Emperor/Rebels dichotomy to perpetuate the Empire. The Lunar Empire is unlike the previous Empires in being unimperial (legitimately freedom-seeking). This reminds me of T. H. White's Arthur, who sought and finally failed to uphold a peaceful kingdom by using violence.

I think these are some worthwhile inspirations for the Hero Wars if you're not familiar with them.

Merlin