Malkioni

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:57:30 +1300

Jerome Blondel:

>If the Invisible God is akin to Plato & Aristotle's philosophical concepts
>i'm sure that the Brithinous students at Sog City could recognize him as
>well (though the real Brithini won't).

The Brithini (and other atheists) do recognize the Invisible God. They have a different idea of what he is like (to wit: immutable impersonal laws of the Cosmos).

> >>Even those who don't worship pagan gods indulge in alien,
> subjective >>concepts like Idealism or Realism and morality, which have
> nothing
> >>to do with pure Logic.

> >Idealism and Realism are not subjective concepts. [...]

>I see your point and agree from a mainstream Malkion PoV. But the
>Brithini don't believe this.

Which makes little difference. The Zzaburi are not the sole arbiters of what is logical and what is subjective in glorantha. I'm not going to label the Malkioni as unlogical and subjective merely on the Brithini say-so.

>They didn't believe Malkion when he said that the
>changes Glorantha underwent induced new postulates.

And the Malkioni say they did so out of pride, arrogance and a lack of empathy for their fellow man. Makes a better story than the Brithini "We alone have kept to the path of true logic", doesn't it?

>And after this, other
>prophets issued other views that kept on differing. IMO this shouldn't
>happen if the Laws of Logic were clearly defined, but i'm not that good
>at maths and maybe i'm wrong.

The issue is a philosophical one and the answers depend on the propositions that you start with. Even now there is great difficulty in engaging in meaningful debate on what propositions are good, bad, better, false, or perverse. The Malkioni lack this realization and so naturally see people who disagree with them as being heretics or worse.

>I think there are thinkers in Sog City who try to
>find the One True Logic Path and reject the other views as unconsistent.

IMO this is the School of Comparative Theology. They study all malkioni faiths and creeds (the Abiding Book, the Liber Carmanois, the Blue Book of Zzabur) and attempt to recreate the original logical teachings. They end up as cynical atheists for some reason...

>Of course, those philosophers are a minority.
>Usually people just come for the magic spells and prestige (i studied at the
>SCU!), and well, all of this just IMO for what it's worth. (what is the
>legal punishment for such ravings in Loskalm?)

I think that students of Sog City University are no longer Idealists and are treated by the Loskalmi as Zzaburi. This makes them second-class citizens but so long as they behave themselves (no summoning demons, thankyouverymuch), they are assured of a decent lifestyle, good employment and a long life. Too bad they won't enjoy Solace...