Henotheism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:55:30 +1300

Jerome Blondel:

>Could a wizard become a hero of Orlanth Thunderous through veneration of
>Saint Worlath, or are all wizard heroquesters considererd as saints of god?

A wizard cannot become a theistic hero.

> >>Thus, henotheists could
> >>- - sacrifice to gods as saints and get affinities (like in Otkorion)

>Me>If they sacrifice to gods, then they are engaging in theism.

>But of course that's still henotheism.

No, it's not. Henotheism has two meanings, neither which describe what is happening here (the general sense is mixing worship of Malkion with the Pagan Gods, while the Glorantha sense is the Henotheist Church). Henotheists may sacrifice to gods for affinities but that is an act of theism indistinguishable from what the Orlanthi or the Pelorians do.

>Arkat shouldn't be an easy path for anyone, that's why the idea of
>misapplied worship seemed convenient to me.

But misapplied worship implies a whole lot of things, none of which are appropriate for Arkat (like the fact that there are no secrets if his worship is misapplied). If you want to make Arkat's path difficult, then it's wiser to make up new mechanisms instead.

>Each could hold a small piece of the original Secret of Arkat. I used
>to believe this Secret was Illumination, and that each aspect can only
>teach what it knew about it,

Just a nitpick: Illuminated Arkat is a slander. Arkat does teach some form of mystical awareness but it is not the same as Nysaloran Illumination (or perhaps the complete opposite).

>Frx Destroyers could
>sometimes Sense the Deceiver even when the person or thing are clean,
>because they prefer to destroy too much than not enough,

IMO they would destroy anything not in their own social group. Which usually means they prefer everything beyond the borders of their city state to be a blackened ruin.