Re: Kitori

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:36:02 +0100

>Peter Metcalfe wrote about the Kitori:
>>I understand they replaced the Trolls on the World Council after
>>the latter left the God Project that created Nysalor.

David Cake:
> I don't think so, I think they withdrew along with the
>Trolls. Though I'd be interested to know the source of this - if its
>Greg, I'll have to rethink the early history of the Kitori.

Last Saturday I've spent a few hours collecting all I know about the Kitori from official or fan publications other than the digests. Most information on the Broken Council comes from the freeform game by this name. The version where the Kitori replaced the trolls on the council apparently is how that game ran when it was played at RQ-Con 2, and this info was in the player reports on that game in the convention compendium.

Shannon Appel's History of the Kingdom of Night has the Kitori withdrawing along with the trolls and Heortlings, and actively opposing Palangio the Iron Vrok as he invades Kethaela - a much likelier outcome.

>I can't
>imagine them (or the OOO) being any more keen on creating a god of
>Light than the Uz were.
> Possibly they stayed in the project, but left after the Curse
>of Kin? Or were betrayed at some other point?

>In any case, they were a human tribe still at this point.

Human mostly, according to Shannon's History (in Tradetalk, issues 4 to 6). Apparently they drew in all kinds of Kethaelans and neighbours when the Only Old One opened the Darkness Cults to humans and others. When Varzor Kitor declared Zolan Zubar rather than Argan Argar to be their main deity, they were joined by lots of Zorak Zorani (or Zolan Zubari) berserk trolls (and probably friendly troll families as well). The Zolan Zubar references are in the freeform material and scattered in Drastic:Darkness (specifically the Hell Roar subcult of Zorak Zoran).

>> How they survived Arkat is a mystery.

> It certainly is - if they opposed him. I had them on the
>other side, at which point the question becomes how did they survive
>Palangio the Iron Vrok et al (and the answer is 'not terribly well').
> At the time of the Second Council I still had them dwelling
>on the Shadow Plateau, and close allies of the OOO, so I figured they
>were on his side.

That agrees with Shannon's History, whether on the plateau or in the lands below where now the Dammed Marsh and the Lead Hills can be found.

>> They also seem to be involved in
>>starting the worship of Zorak Zoran among trolls.

> Yes. They originally (at the time of the founder, Vorzar
>Kitor) worshipped a spirit called Zolan Zubar, quite similar to Zorak
>Zoran, who was incorporated into the Zorak Zoran cult at some point
>(possibly by Kwaratch Kwang as a power grab).

I'm inclined to blame Arkat, but agree about the timing.

>I agree with Peter pretty much about the Kings and Queens
>(with the caveat that Thunder Rebels has yet to make it to outer
>pamaltela, so I am unsure of some of the deities details). Clans are
>either troll or human, not mixed, and the kings are human, the queens
>troll. The queens lovers are important because the Kitori do not
>practice miscegenation, so the marriage of the kings and queens is
>symbolic. The queens lovers are trolls (and obviously well 'ard).

>The humans have always been darkness worshippers,

Shannon makes them start in 160 S.T., although I tend to think that the tradition of darkness-worshipping Orlanthi was started when Harand Boardick gave his son to Jogo Zaramzil (aka Night-in-day) in exchange for support at the Battle of Arrowmound.

>and have their own
>darkness traditions that are different to troll ones, and involve
>revering Argan Argar and the tribal founder Vorzar Kitor.

According to Shannon, this started in the Second Age, when a descendant of Varzonar (sp?) Kitor (the Kitori sacred king active during the time of Lokamayadon, and the Only Old One's co-general with Kwaratch Kang) ritually married an Uz Queen and established modern Kitori society in the Troll Woods. This time as traders. The great Argan Argar statue in Whitewall (mentioned in RQ Adventures #4) probably stems from this time.

>Urox and Zorak Zoran against chaos almost certainly (we know
>the two cults are friendly, there must be some mythic reason for it),

Urox may have replaced Zolan Zubar/Hell Roar as their destructive storm deity. I don't think Urox would have played a major role among the Kitori in the Dawn Age - the Kitori didn't have to face chaos then.

>and Orlanth lends death to Zorak Zoran, possibly.

IMO Zorak Zoran received Death from Orlanth at the Hill of Gold. All of the participants lost something but gained something at each station (well, Yelmalio's record isn't really a win situation, but he gained his "survive enemy force" feats at each station).