Umathela, Logicians, Aron

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:38:12 +0100

Pamaltelan influence in Umathela

>David Dunham:
>>I believe there was a fair amount of Pamaltelan influence dating back
>>to the Six Legged Empire.

Peter Metcalfe:
>I don't see it myself. The Six-legged Empire was in Jolar and only
>lasted for a short period of time (between 870 and 901 or so). Not
>long enough to make a strong impact in Umathela. Perhaps Goan...

Actualy, Umathela probably was the driving force behind the Six-legged Empire. Most likely the God Learners who participated in this venture came from Umathela, and brought back their study subjects to their country. Jogrampur may well be strongly influenced by their finds in the plains.

David:
>>I believe the Vadeli have political influence, but no cultural.

Peter:
>Why wouldn't the Vadeli would teach evil, twisted cults to corrupt
>the hearts and minds of innocent Orlanthi-in-the-woods?

While I can see that the Vadeli would have set up cults directing their worship to Vadeli magicians, would these still continue after Oenriko Rocks and their Cortez/Quetzalcoatl scam becoming public?

Peter replying to Jerome Blondel:

>>And after this, other
>>prophets issued other views that kept on differing. IMO this shouldn't
>>happen if the Laws of Logic were clearly defined, but i'm not that good
>>at maths and maybe i'm wrong.

>The issue is a philosophical one and the answers depend on the
>propositions that you start with. Even now there is great
>difficulty in engaging in meaningful debate on what propositions
>are good, bad, better, false, or perverse. The Malkioni lack
>this realization and so naturally see people who disagree with
>them as being heretics or worse.

The trouble with logic is that it can clearly map whether the conclusions made from basic axioms are conclusive, but that an axiom cannot be analyzed with pure logic. "There is no evil" is as unproveable/denyable as is "Evil is a cosmic force". "There is no evil because..." is subject to logical analysis, but this analysis will only be applied to "because...".

Peter:
>I think that students of Sog City University are no longer
>Idealists and are treated by the Loskalmi as Zzaburi. This
>makes them second-class citizens but so long as they behave
>themselves (no summoning demons, thankyouverymuch), they are
>assured of a decent lifestyle, good employment and a long
>life. Too bad they won't enjoy Solace...

What, no postgraduate necromancy studies for Loskalmi wizards?

Seriously, I doubt that Loskalm on the edge of war will refrain from learning the spells offered by SCU. Things may have been different shortly after the Ban was lifted (IIRC Sog was separate from Loskalm then), but some clerical orders surely will have sent promising students firm in their creed into the purgatory of SCU.

>Jerome Blondel:

>>Could a wizard become a hero of Orlanth Thunderous through veneration of
>>Saint Worlath, or are all wizard heroquesters considererd as saints of
>>god?

Peter:
>A wizard cannot become a theistic hero.

A wizard saint can be worshipped as such, though. As the example of the bishop saints in the Aeolian Church shows, it is possible to establish some kind of presence in the Otherworld through misapplied worship. Once this has happened, who is to stop theist barbarians from adopting this saint as a hero?

Jerome:
>Could you tell me about the Westfaring? Has it anything to do with the
>Lightbringers' Quest or is it a name for a migration?

The Westfaring is the early part of the Lightbringers' Quest, which occurs on the surface world.

>What are Aron [...]

Aron is the site of the Plundering of Aron, a famous incident for the Thunder Brothers during the Vinkotling Age of myth. I suspect it is Hrelar Amali or Erontree.

At one time the Enchanter (a figure otherwise unspecified in Thunder Rebels, from Seravus - a forested region west of Kerofinela, a southern part of the Greatwood bordering on the Chomal Sea) had stolen all the beasts, and the Thunder Brothers were led by Finovan the Raider (patron deity of cattle raids) to get them back. Other Thunder Brothers named for this incident were Desemborth the Thief, Ormalaya the Hunter, Helamakt the Fighting Storm, and Hedkoranth.

From the few snippets in TR the Thunder Brothers were ambushed there ba aldryami at the Sivin Event, but were saved by Helamakt. When the Thunder Brothers tried to sneak the liberated beasts away from Aron, they were attacked the face guards. Finovan directed the combat, entering it only after deploying his companions and slaying one of the guards, Desemborth made sure he and his booty would get away (and his share be greater) while the rest fought the face guards. Ormalaya afterwards stopped joining the Thunder Brothers after Helamakt had received more praise for his missiles than he (which might explain the relative rarity of archers among heroic Heortling warriors).

The geography of Aron isn't that clear from the Late Vingkotling Age map. Seravus lies at the northern border of the Reclaimed Lands and is the southernmost part of the Great Forest, on the shore of the Chomal Sea (a sea not reclaimed from the earlier Blue Tribe invasions - possibly the Neliomi or the Felster Sea, with a distant third candidate the Mournsea). All the other reclaimed lands south of it are inhabited by Durevings.

"The Enchanter" could be an epithet of Zzabur (or some other powerful sorcerer, although the logicians don't seem to deal that well with beasts - compare "Vadrus and the Logic Tribe" in Anaxial's Record), it could as well be the title of a great animist or spirit who had called all the beasts (I think of something behind the Ancient Beasts in Ralios, who held Hrelar Amali as a holy place), or yet something else - the name doesn't sound very theist, but who knows. The area is Hsunchen or at least Beast Totem Territory, whether in Maniria, Ralios or Seshnela. Apart from an individual name (Urovin, slain by Finovan) nothing is known about the nature of the Face Guards. There are aldryami aplenty west of Kerofinela.