Moon

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:52:47 -0600

Peter Metcalfe says:

>That's correct (although there are other stories of the Moon's
>downfall). But she had become a rebel long before (since
>Umatum appeared).

        Really? So is that why she's a contestant for the Middle Air? Because, like Orlanth, she "bought in" to the Freedom promised by Umath? (And, obviously, because she's really powerful; there are a lot of "Free" Air gods out there, but only one Orlanth.)

>>Furthermore, the Red Goddess only picked up her chaos associations during
>>her quest for oneness (healing Gbaji?).
>
>You are confusing between what the Goddess did in her incarnation
>to discover herself and the grand cycle of the Goddess. The
>incarnation picked up chaos associations because they were really
>part of her all along.

        But were they "really part of her all along" because things "happened" that way before Time or because they were "discovered to be true" during the Goddess's quest for herself? Or doesn't it matter?

>>So who's this "Blood Moon?"
>
>The Goddess when she was Red. Originally she was white, but
>when Umatum appeared, she dipped beneath the horizon, saw Hell
>and came back red. Thus tainted, she taught her knowledge
>to her people (centered on the city of Mernita) and that is how
>the Orlanthi originally knew her.

        I didn't know that.... It's kind of cool. "Hell Knowledge" isn't Chaos, though, is it? The Darkness deities are Hell gods after all, and they've got no chaos on them. Mernita seems an awfully long way from the Orlanthi, but I suppose the Orlanthi got around in those days (being winds and all...).

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #299